Date(s) - 07/09/2019
12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
9090 Destiny USA Drive - Syracuse, NY 13204
Announcing New 2019/2020 Events
Read Local Campaign!
The West Central Upstate NY SCBWI Region is pleased to join other SCBWI regions in championing local PAL authors! Our Read Local Campaign is a new, exciting initiative we’re undertaking to help create opportunity for our PAL authors & illustrators. Yay!
By reaching out to schools, libraries, bookstores, associations, businesses, local media, and others within our community, we hope to showcase the amazing talents of our local writers & illustrators. We also plan to participate in events throughout the year to help our authors & illustrators make connections that could result in future opportunities.
The formal launch of our Read Local Campaign took place in 2018 at The New York State Reading Association Conference in Liverpool, NY. Additional opportunities for our PALs to market themselves, their books, and their school programs will be announced on an on-going basis. For more information contact: PAL Coordinator, Dee Romito or Regional Advisor, Sandra Athans email@example.com
You Shop Local & Eat Local…
Why Not Read Local?
Forthcoming Events (2019/2020 Calendar):
- The Literacy Coalition of Onondaga County has invited us to participate in their annual Summer Learning Day event, July 9th, 2019 in the Canyon Area at Destiny Mall in Syracuse from 12 – 2. This year’s theme is “Super Readers to the Rescue.” One of Coalition’s initiatives is to encourage grade-level reading through its involvement with the Dolly Parton Imagination Libraries, which is a book gifting program (Penguin Books). Although we are unable to sell books, we can distribute sales information, bookmarks, and other giveaways. We can also interact with the children (mostly up through 3rd grade) by sharing an activity or demonstration, reading from our books, or other. Over 3,000 attendees are expected at this well publicized event, and over 30 different community groups are participating. Our Read Local Booth will be there! If you would like to volunteer in our Read Local Booth, please contact Pal Coordinator, Dee Romito, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Sandra at email@example.com
- 2nd Annual CNY Literary Festival, Friday, October 4th, from 6:30 pm to 9:00 pm and Saturday, October 5th, from 10:00 am to 4:30 pm at the Community Library of DeWitt & Jamesville. At its discretion, the Library will choose authors from those who apply for 10 minute reading slots. These authors will also have an opportunity to sign their books during the reception on Friday evening. If you are interested in being selected for a Friday evening reading and/or if you’d like to participate in books signing events on Saturday, please contact Brian Abbott BAbbott@onlib.org by Wednesday July 31st. If you would like to volunteer in our Read Local Booth, please contact Pal Coordinator, Dee Romito, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Sandra at email@example.com
- Library Book Signing at the Public Library in Baldwinsville, NY October 19th, from 12 noon – 3 pm. For additional information about the selection process, contact Nicki Greenwood firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to volunteer in our Read Local Booth, please contact Pal Coordinator, Dee Romito, at email@example.com or Sandra at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Season’s Events:
- New York State Reading Association (NYSRA) Conference, Holiday Inn, Syracuse, NY, October 28th – 29th, 2018.
- Author O. Eve School of Distinction #61, Buffalo, NY, is holding a ribbon cutting ceremony for their new book vending machine, November 27th. This is the first public school in Western New York to receive a book vending machine for Children’s Books. West-Central NY PALs will be represented at this ceremony. This Ceremony is by invitation. See our listing on the PAL FB page for contact information.
- CNY Literary Festival – Friday, November 30th, 6:30pm – 9:00pm. The Community Library of Dewitt & Jamesville is hosting its first CNY Literary Festival. This event is open to the public. What a great event to explore as a writer/illustrator and to champion as a member of the community! We will showcase our West-Central NY PALs at a group table exhibit. Likewise, many of our local PALs will also have their own table exhibit. Come check it out!