October Shop Talk
(Barnes & Noble, Erie Blvd, East Syracuse, NY)
6:30 – 8:00, Tuesday, October 30th
Mrs. Amy Merrill joins our Syracuse Shop Talk this month from 7:00 to 7:30 pm to share her passion and enthusiasm for the New York State Reading Association (NYSRA) Charlotte Award.
Named for the main character in E.B. White’s Charlotte’s Web, the purpose of the Charlotte Award is to encourage students to read outstanding literature and ultimately become life-long readers. Students across New York State read titles on the ballot and vote for their favorites. Winners receive their awards at an annual NYSRA Conference.
Amy has served as a committee member of the 2016 and 2018 awards, and is Chair of the 2020 Charlotte Award Committee. In her Shop Talk presentation, Amy looks forward to sharing:
- The basics of the Charlotte Award
- A “Show & Tell” of the ballot books and the WINNERS!
(revealed at the NYSRA Conference in Liverpool, NY)
- Insights on what kids read and what tops their Wish Lists!
- Ways authors & illustrators can work with local school districts and within their communities
- Other helpful take-aways!
Amy is also a librarian and the Reading Specialist for the Binghamton City School District.